TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Collection and Use of Personal Information
- Sharing of Personal Information
- Information about our Websites and Apps
- Interest-Based Advertising
- Safeguards and Retention
- Your Choices
- Access to Information
- Parental Notice
- Contact Us
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
For the purposes of this policy, “personal information” means any information about an identifiable individual including, without limitation, your name, address, telephone number, and email address. We collect and use your personal information when you:
- Visit one of our Restaurants
- Order Online on our Websites and/or Apps
- Join one of our Brand’s loyalty program
- Make a reservation or plan an event at one our Restaurants
- Use our in-store Wi-Fi
- Sign-up to receive our marketing communications
- Enter a contest or participate in a promotion
- Apply for a job with us
- Apply for a franchise opportunity
- Contact us with a comment, question or complaint
- Use the Find a Location feature on our Websites
- Restaurant Purchases: You do not have to provide us with any personal information when you pay using cash at one of our Restaurants. If you use a credit or debit card, we collect your debit or credit card-related information and your signature, if required, to process and administer your payment. Your credit, debit, or other card used for payment is tokenized in order to process and administer your payment. We store this tokenized information in order to identify purchase behaviours across online and in-store orders. We may also use video surveillance in our Restaurants for loss prevention and security purposes.
- Ordering Online: If you place an order through one of our Websites or Apps, you may be asked to create an account by entering your first and last name, password, email address, and phone number. When you place an order online, we will collect further information from you, including your order, location and billing information in order to complete your order. Your credit, debit, or other card used for payment is tokenized in order to process and administer your payment. We store this tokenized information in order to (a) allow you to re-use the card for future payments and (b) identify purchase behaviours across online and in-store orders. We may offer you the ability to order through a third-party food delivery service, in which case we obtain the necessary transaction information from the third party in order to fulfill your order.
- Loyalty Program: If you choose to join a loyalty program of one of our Brands, you may be required to create an online account and provide your name (optional), email address, a password you create, and you may be prompted to enter further information, such as your favourite store and other information specific to the particular program. We use this information to create your loyalty account, administer your participation in the program and issue you an electronic or paper loyalty card to use when you make a purchase. If you wish to load money onto your card, we will also collect your payment card details and billing address, as well as optional information such as your consent to auto-reload your card and birth date to receive a reward on your birthday. If you choose to send a loyalty program e-gift card to a friend or family member, we will also require and collect the recipient’s first and last name and email address so that we can send the e-gift card on your behalf.
- Reservations and Events: If you wish to make a reservation or book an event at one of our Restaurant locations by phone or online (either through our Websites or Apps or through a third-party reservation platform), you will be asked to provide information such as your first and last name, phone number, email address, and any additional information required to make the reservation or other booking (e.g. the preferred date and time of dining, and number of guests in your party). We may send you an email confirming your reservation once your reservation request is accepted.
- The Ultimate Dining Card: “Ultimate Dining Card” is the Recipe-owned and administered gift card program. An Ultimate Dining Card may be used at a selection of restaurants within the Recipe family as described at https://theultimatediningcard.ca. When you purchase an Ultimate Dining Card, we collect your name, address and payment information in order to process your payment and deliver your cards. You may also choose to create an account in order to track your Ultimate Dining Card activity and receive communications regarding the latest promotions, events and updates about the Ultimate Dining Card. When you create an account, we collect your first and last name, mailing address, email address, phone number, language preference and a password that you choose. If you choose to create a customized Ultimate Dining Card, you may also provide us with further personal information such as an image and/or a personalized message/text to be placed on the face of your Ultimate Dining Card. If you are buying the Ultimate Dining Card for another individual, you may also be required to provide that individual’s name and email address so that we can deliver the Ultimate Dining Card to the proper recipient.
- In-Store Wi-Fi: Some of our Restaurants may provide you with access to free public Wi-Fi. If you choose to connect to a Restaurant’s Wi-Fi, we will receive personal information about you and your device, including your device ID (MAC address), Internet Protocol address (IP address), received signal strength indicator (RSSI) and technical details about your device such as its: operating system, device type (including make and model) and technical capabilities. If you have given your device a name or title, we may also receive the name of your device. When you connect to the Wi-Fi, we also receive your email address as well as information about how you use the Wi-Fi, including the store location where you connect to the Network; the areas of the store you visit; the date, time, length and frequency of your visit(s); your bandwidth usage; the names and urls of the websites you visit and/or the applications you use while connected to the Wi-Fi; and how long you interact with such sites or applications. We collect this information each time you subsequently visit our Restaurants after connecting to the Wi-Fi, regardless of whether you connect to the Wi-Fi during those subsequent visits, and combine such information for the purposes set out below. We and our service provider use this information to connect your device to the Wi-Fi and to enforce our Wi-Fi Terms. We also use the Wi-Fi usage data we collect on an aggregate basis in order to better understand and improve our stores and your shopping experience. You should have no expectation of privacy with respect to use of the free in-store Wi-Fi. If your mobile device Wi-Fi is turned on, we may also collect your device ID before you connect to the Wi-Fi, however, we only use this information for the purpose of sending a signal to your device indicating that the Wi-Fi is available.
- Sign-up to receive our Mailing List or Newsletter: If you subscribe to our or one of our Restaurants’ email mailing list or newsletter, we collect your name and email address as well as other information on an optional basis (such as your city, postal code, date of birth) to help us tailor our communications to you such as sending you a birthday message, a sign-up anniversary message, regional offers and promotions, and other relevant communications. If you no longer wish to receive these communications, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link included at the bottom of the newsletter. Please note that you may continue to receive certain transactional or account-related communications from us, such as your receipt or online order confirmation. We may also use services provided by third-party platforms (such as social networking and other websites) to serve targeted advertisements on such platforms to you or others. If you have signed-up for our marketing list, we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to the platform provider for such purposes.
- Contests and Promotions: When you enter a contest or participate in a promotion, we may collect your name, address, email address, phone number, and any additional information or content required for the contest or promotion (such as information you post on social media). We use this information to administer your participation in the contest or promotion, including prize fulfillment. As part of a contest or promotion, we may obtain your consent to share or otherwise publish the content you submit.
- Social Media: We may offer you the opportunity to engage with us on or through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications, such as by logging in to your account on a Website or App using your social media account credentials. In doing so, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account (e.g., name, username, email address, profile picture) to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the website, plug-in or application. When you provide information from your social media account, we may use this information to personalize your experience on our Websites or Apps and on the third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications.
- Careers: If you apply for a job with us, you may provide us with certain personal information about yourself, such as information contained in a resume, cover letter, or similar employment-related materials. We use this information for the purpose of processing and responding to your application for current and future career opportunities and assessing your suitability for employment.
- Contact Us: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint through email, telephone, or the “Contact Us” form on our Websites or Apps, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, address and a telephone number, along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings.
- Find a Location: If you search for a Restaurant on our Websites or Apps, we collect your postal code or city and province in order to provide you with information on nearby Restaurants. We do not use this information for other purposes. If you consent, we may also collect your location automatically in order to provide you with tailored content and restaurant suggestions.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI): When using certain pages of our Website or App, for example, the “Contact Us” page, or through communications we may send you from time to time, you may be invited to provide certain self-identifying information that is particularly sensitive by nature, e.g. information with respect to your ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and whether or not you have a disability. Whether you choose to provide us with this information, and to what extent, is completely at your discretion. We collect, use, and store this information to inform and improve our DEI initiatives. Only certain designated employees of Recipe will have access to this information. We will not share this information with anyone outside of Recipe, unless legally required to do so (see “Sharing of Personal Information, Legal and Compliance” below) or if we decide to sell our business (see “Sharing of Personal Information, Sale of Business” below). We may also use the anonymized, aggregated data received from your DEI information for reporting and advertising purposes.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell, rent or disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent, except as described below or as required or permitted by applicable law.
- Service Providers: Your personal information may be transferred (or otherwise made available) to third parties or affiliates that provide services on our behalf. We use service providers to provide services such as administering our surveys and gift cards, hosting Websites and Apps, providing advertising services, and sending our marketing communications. Our service providers are only provided with the information they need to perform their designated functions and are not authorized to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes. Our service providers may be located in the U.S., Canada or other foreign jurisdictions.
- Legal and Compliance: We and our Canadian, US and other foreign affiliates and service providers may disclose your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise may be required or permitted by applicable Canadian, U.S. or other law or legal process, which may include lawful access by US or foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities. Your personal information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
- Sale of Business: We may transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a proposed or completed merger, acquisition or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of any or all of our restaurant brands, Recipe as a whole, or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control.
- Partner Programs: We may share transaction data (such as the date and amount of your purchase) with third party partner programs that you participate in (such as SCENE and CAA Rewards), in order to administer your participation in such programs and in accordance with the terms of such third-party partner programs.
NFORMATION ABOUT OUR WEBSITES AND APPS
- Visiting our Websites and Apps: In general, you can visit our Websites and Apps without telling us who you are or submitting any personal information. However, we collect information about the computer or device you use to access our website or one of our mobile applications, including operating system, IP address, mobile device identification number, MAC address, device identifiers, the make and model of your device, its operating system, information about the screen size, page requests, browser type, average time spent on our Websites or App and date and time of your use. We use this information to determine which settings are appropriate for your computer or device, to provide or enhance digital functionality, to help us understand our Website and App activity and to monitor and improve our Websites and Apps.
- Location Data: If you choose to use a location-based service, such as locating a restaurant near you, you may also provide us with permission to track your device location in order to provide you with the services you request. You can opt-out of sharing location data with us at any time by turning off location data in your device settings.
- Cookies: Our Websites uses a technology called “cookies”. A cookie is a tiny element of data that our Websites sends to a user’s browser, which may then be stored on the user’s hard drive so that we can recognize the user’s computer or device when they return. Cookies may provide us and our service providers with information that we will use to personalize our Websites in accordance with your preferences. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to not accept certain cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from our Websites, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the Website features.
- Analytics Cookies: We may use a third party such as Google Analytics to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on our Websites (such as the pages most read, time spent, search terms and other engagement data) in order to evaluate and improve the user experience and the Websites. For more information or to opt-out using the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” and “Google Analytics and Privacy”.
We work with third-parties such as ad networks and other advertising companies that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Websites in order to provide you with tailored advertisements across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our Websites and third-party websites (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites. This information may also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of our online advertising campaigns.
Opting-out of Interest-Based Advertising: For more information about interest-based advertising and to understand your options, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioural ads from third-party advertising companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at http://youradchoices.ca/choices.
Please note that even if you opt out of interest-based advertising by a third party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes including analytics and you will still see ads from us, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information about you and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
To successfully opt out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser (see your browser’s instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them). Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt out of each web browser on each computer you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser’s saved cookies, you will need to opt out again.
SAFEGUARDS AND RETENTION
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to personal information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfill their job requirements.
We have record retention processes designed to retain personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes set out herein or as otherwise required to meet legal or business requirements.
As indicated above, if you have signed up to receive email communications, you can unsubscribe any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link included at the bottom of the newsletter. Alternatively, you can opt out of receiving our marketing communications, and of having your contact information used for custom audience purposes, by contacting us at the contact information under “Contact Us” below.
To opt out of interest-based advertising, see “Interest-Based Advertising” section above.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
Subject to limited exceptions under applicable law, you have the right to access, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody or control by emailing or writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purpose of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to his or her personal information records.
We are very sensitive to privacy issues and are committed to protecting the online privacy of children and making the Internet safe for all our users. As a result, no personal information should be submitted to or posted on this site by children under the age of 18 without their parent’s or guardian’s permission. In addition, if a user younger than 18 wishes to send us personal information, he or she must first give us his or her parent’s or guardian’s email address so that we can obtain their permission, or have the child’s parent or guardian consent on his or her behalf. No personal information will knowingly be accepted from a child under the age of 18 before this permission is obtained.
If your child has already provided us with personal information, you may ask to see this information for the purpose of correcting it, or ask us to delete this information from our record entirely (see “Contact Us” below).
199 Four Valley Drive